Saturday, November 26, 2011

Talking Turkey

Even if you aren't living in the US, you probably know this past week was Thanksgiving for us. For many people it's the start of an all out eat fest that goes on until the first of January. Although for some people, this actually starts with the Halloween candy.

I'm sure there are as many reasons for this as there are dieters, but I have no doubt some of this is because of unrealistic diets that are difficult to live with. People give up and figure they'll deal with it after the holiday season is over. Usually only to try another diet that is possibly even more stringent and difficult to live with than the earlier one.

This is perhaps my favorite thing about No S. It's very easy to live with long term. Which is understandable, since this is how people used to live long term. Those of us who have been around for a few years know this, since we were 'there'. Children usually had snacks - but it was more likely to be 'real food' since the little 'snack packs' so common today didn't exist - but not too close to meals so we didn't 'spoil our appetite'. But others simply ate good meals at meal time and then they didn't eat again until the next one. In some countries, people still eat this way. 

Most people make allowances for big meal holidays like Thanksgiving, and I was no exception. It was an 'S' day for me, which meant I abandoned the rules for the day: In other words, I had pie. That was it. I didn't think about what I was 'allowed' to eat. To tell the truth, I hardly gave a thought to the food. Mostly I focused on family I seldom see. But when it came to choosing food, I only thought about what looked and sounded good to me and put those things on my plate. I didn't have to think at all about how much to eat, since when it's just my favorite foods, one plate is plenty. I had a second plate for my pie. It would have fit on the main plate, but it was neater this way.

No worries, no guilt, no missing out, no trying to 'exercise it off' the next day - and the only thing stuffed was the turkey.

No wonder I stick with NoS.

1 comment:

  1. We.are Canadian. But we have an American son in law. We get to celebrate both
    Thanksgivings ! It was wonderful especially due to the freedom of No S. I just now had a lunch of the scoop of left over sweet potatoes with a couple of ozs of turkey. I'm truly thankful for the life No S has given me.

    ReplyDelete