Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Foodspiration!


A few weeks ago I read this post on the No S board. 

"I searched around a bit, but couldn't find a thread for meal planning / brainstorming--either for questions, or just folks describing meals that work well for them.

I get stuck in dietary ruts really easily--I've got multiple, severe food allergies, which means that trying new things often feels like more trouble than it's worth--so it's always useful and helpful to see what other people are putting together!

I've also noticed that with No S, I'm paying much more attention to planning balanced meals, since the need to be the source of *all* the calories and nutrients I'm getting.

So, if you've got regular meals that you make, or stumble across meals or recipes that work well enough to be worth sharing, here's a place for it!"

This post really hit home with me. Around the same time this was posted I was also in the  doldrums as far as meal planning/cooking was concerned. I just couldn't think of anything that sounded good or that I felt like cooking. Sometimes I couldn't even think of things to cook at all. That's saying something considering I really enjoy cooking (and eating!) Once in a while I shopped and cooked, but  we were eating out far too often.

I finally decided enough was enough. Fortunately, stored on my computer I have lists and menus from previous, doldrum-free months. I pulled up a couple of them and started small, planning just a few, easy meals at a time until I was out of my rut. 

Shortly after that, I saw this post and I realized I was not alone. Other people also ran out of ideas from time to time, or sometimes just want to climb out of their rut and try something new for a change. Over the next few weeks I thought about it, wondering if there was a way we could use this blog as a way to share meal planning ideas, recipes and plate photos in a way that isn't always so easy on a fast moving forum. 

Beginning today, I will be dedicating my Friday posts to 'Foodspiration' with the hope that it will become a useful resource for the No S community. A place to share menus, meals, recipes and even post plate photos to be included in our new slideshow at the top of the page.

There are many ways to be included:
  • share any or all of your meals for the week in the comments 
  • if you plan meals in advance, share your menu ideas for the coming week
  • submit a plate photo, along with information explaining which meal it is and what is on the plate to nosladies at gmail dot com and it will be included in the slide show. Recipes should be sent to the address, and will be available in Google Docs
  • if  you have a No S blog, share a link to your blog, or 
  • just check in on Fridays and have a look around. If you see a meal that inspires you, feel free to ask for details and recipes in the comments 
So try a new recipe. Snap a plate photo or two. But most of all, share and enjoy! 

7 comments:

  1. good idea here! I'll be checking on Fridays.
    Would you believe I also have a gaggle of tiny decorated ducks? go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know how my duck collection got started! I love that you have them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, today I fixed a Texas style oven roasted brisket to take to a movie night get together. Would you believe I have never made a brisket before! I am branching out and trying new things. I would rather bring the meat instead of fixing desserts. When I make a special dessert I have troubles...if you know what I mean. If this turns out well, I may try again for just the two of us and freeze meal size portions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made brisket, either. I keep thinking I'm going to one of these days. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do we want a recipe spot on the blog? It would be easier to find than recipes buried in comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point. I'll set up a spot and edit the post with instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week for dinner we'll be having: hot dogs roasted over a fire in the backyard, pork chops, homemade pizza, and Mac and cheese. One night we usually have leftovers and one night we eat out. This weekend's dessert will be blackberry crumble with homemade ice cream.

    ReplyDelete