Monday, August 1, 2011

No S Goes on the Road

I know sometimes I come off sounding like a commercial for No S, but in all honesty between the way it can be tweaked for the individual and the ease with which it fits into everyday life, I don't see much negative about it. I'm sure one of these days I will think of something I don't like about it and write about that. In the meantime, here is another entry in a list of 'Things I Like about No S'.

No S makes vacation eating easy. No special foods to pack or search for on the road, no feeling 'different' from everyone else, no feeling shortchanged when everyone else is enjoying something especially nice that doesn't fit into your food plan - or worse, eating it and not even enjoying because you feel guilty or ashamed.

Been there, done that. But those days are far behind me.With No S the freedom to choose is mine. I can maintain my usual routine of 'N' days and 'S' days, or I can declare that vacations are an 'S' and go with that. No matter what choice I make, there is no guilt, no shame, no failure. I did not 'fall off the wagon' because whether it's an 'N' day or and 'S' day - it's my wagon - my conscious choice.

I have not had many vacations in the time I've been following No S, but the choice I've made has been to designate vacations as 'S' events and to pack quite a lot of our own food. We prefer good food and it can be quite difficult to find real food in a strange town. It's also more cost effective - by not spending our money on cheap food we don't even like, we can afford better food later.

It's not so easy these days when traveling by plane, but those most of our trips are by car. We start off with provisions from home but supplement with the best options from local stores. We usually find a park for a picnic lunch and have dinner in a restaurant.  If we get tired of the usual options, or we find a particularly good place for breakfast or lunch, we go out. It's a routine we've evolved over the years that works particularly well for us. We like it, and if it ceases to work, we change it.

What about you? What helps  you stick to your weight loss goals and maintain your good eating habits on the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment