Monday, August 29, 2011

A New 'Normal'


Last week was a tough one for me. I have a new schedule this year that sounded good in theory, but hasn't worked out very well. The way it's supposed to work is that I eat breakfast around 9, then have lunch when I get home at 2. At the beginning of the week I was hungry for breakfast about 8, and *very* hungry for a good two hours before I could get lunch. I also don't have a lot of time at 2 pm. The combined effect has been that I eat a lot very quickly which means I don't enjoy it much and I'm not hungry again in time for dinner. I've tried adjusting the amounts and the timing of breakfast and lunch as much as I am able, but it hasn't really made a difference.

The second problem is that it took me until Friday to adjust to these meal times, which of course, will not mesh with my family life on weekends - which then means I'll be constantly adjusting to two different schedules and for me that is simply unsustainable.

I didn't get any exercise in at all last week. I don't know how much of this is due to my busier schedule, the fact that I work in a very hot place that kinda sucks the energy out of me, or simply because I'm always tired when I start back to work.

Change is part of life, though. I just have to find a new 'normal' that works for me, and in the meantime, try not to get too discouraged.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes ruts are nice. Starting new schedules are hard. When am I going to get my exercise in, when is the best time for a meal, how do I work all this around the rest of the family??? When I was teaching at university each semester was different but at least for 3 months I knew what my MWF, T/Thurs schedule was. About the time I would get habits in place, it was time to change again. Now I am adjusting to retirement...no set schedule for me, but tied more than ever to my husband's schedule. We're working on it. Right now it is a BIG breakfast at 6:00 so we don't have to eat again for a long time. I have even started preparing supper to be ready at 4:00. Strange I know, but I am pretty much eating two big meals with a simple bone broth for lunch. We'll see if this becomes a nice rut. And I am also sapped of all energy because of the heat...really ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you are familiar with the whole process. It isn't quite so bad this week, but not great, either.

    ReplyDelete