Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Two Month Review


It's been two months now since I started back with NoS, which means it's time for an update. I have been doing weekly updates, but there isn't that much to say, so I've decided to go with monthly for now, and possibly throw in an extra if something unusual is going on.

I guess that's a clue then that things on the NoS front have been fairly 'usual' - which is to say, 'mixed'. On the positive side, I've been keeping up well with some of the goals I set for myself. I've managed to stay off the scale, other than a couple of days this past month. I've also continued my exercise - both 'playtime' and the scheduled type. I've played tennis 2-4 times a week, been for the occasional walk or swim, done some gardening and kept up my strength training 2-3 times a week. I like the way my arms look and feel tighter, but I really noticed the benefits of that strength training yesterday when I went to work and had no trouble with the heavy lifting I have to do as part of my job.

On the negative side, I have been staying up too late, which really affects how I feel the next day. I haven't been very serious about NoS rules, either, which isn't entirely negative, depending on one's point of view. It's not because I've been struggling, but more because I just haven't been too bothered. I have had a 'summer vacation' feeling and I haven't really wanted it to go away. But it's my summer, my NoS, so it's a compromise I'm okay with. If I want to sit with my son on a 98 degree summer day by the pool and eat ice cream that's melting almost faster than we can eat it - I'm going to do it. It doesn't mean I'm going to do it every day, or that because I had an ice cream, all rules are 'off' for the rest of the day. It just means, for me, there's a time for rules, and a time to just live life and make memories.

And for me, summer is over. The weather is still hot and sunny, but summer activities are winding down and school is starting up. So what are my goals for the next month?

  • keep up my activity - go for walks or play tennis with the family in the evenings, do some fall gardening and continue with the strength training 
  • get to bed on time
  • get some sunshine every day
  • take some time to relax, laugh and generally enjoy life every day
  • tighten up 'da rules 

How has everyone else been doing? Do you have progress to share or goals you're working on?

2 comments:

  1. I have always seen the beginning of a new school year as more of a New Year than January 1. Maybe it is genetic. I think my family bleeds chalk dust. There is something so exciting about buying school supplies...sharp pencils, clean pads of paper, new lunchboxes, new shoes, and getting into a routine after the lazy hazy summer days where yes, we stay up way too late! No kids at home now, I'm retired, but hubby has started teacher meetings and classes begin Monday. So I "feel" it. And yes, my eating has been more on plan. I am feeling good and have several days in a row under my belt. Today a nice beef broth is simmering away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I! But after many years in school, one way or another, it's pretty understandable.

    We're in two different districts, so it's only the first day for me. Next week is the second first day, so I'm thinking that's my new year - new start - and I hope to make it a good one :)

    ReplyDelete