Monday, September 5, 2011

Meal Planning

One of my tasks this past weekend was to plan meals and shop for the month. I know it probably sounds crazy, since that's what I first thought, too. I tried it, though, and found that  it actually injected a bit of sanity in my life. I'm not very organized, so planning means less stress, and more success.

I began with the basics from this website, altering it for our activities and schedule, what leftovers will need to be used and even the season. To streamline the process, breakfasts change day to day, but repeat each week, as do lunches during the school year. Dinner is more thoroughly planned - down to side dishes and dessert ideas, if it's an S day.

If this sounds rigid, it's not. The last thing I need in my life is a list of 'must dos' to feel guilty about if I 'didn't do', and somedays nothing else will do but to ditch the whole plan and go out. But I like to cook, to eat and to feed my family well - and did I mention I'm a bit 'organizationally challenged'? Meal planning helps me avoid standing in the kitchen at 5 pm with no idea what to fix for dinner, and if I do have an idea, finding out I don't have the ingredients. It also doesn't hurt that since I started doing this, I spend much less time shopping, and our grocery bill is only one half to two thirds what it used to be.

What method of meal planning, if any, works for you?

4 comments:

  1. I plan meals (BTW, I also No-S) because it helps save money on groceries when I do. And if I don't, sure as God made little green apples, I'll be staring at the fridge in the evening wondering what the devil I'm going to do to feed my family and wondering if I can fool myself into thinking I have enough money to call the Magic Sushi Phone and have sushi delivered. (I generally consider sushi an expensive indulgence).

    It's not rigid. You can always switch meals you've planned to different nights if the mood hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to love the planning more than the doing. I have tried very elaborate spreadsheets tied to grocery shopping and recipes and cooking by the month, etc. However, the execution of said plans fall apart rather quickly.

    Now I have a notebook of basic recipes and meals and a basic grocery list. I go to the store without a plan first except for staples I may need. Then I buy what is fresh in the produce dept or farmer's market, buy meat that is on sale to use or freeze and then plan my next few days around that. We rarely eat out so I am always cooking. I am fortunate though to have a small chest freezer and an upright freezer which lets me take advantage of good bargains and freeze leftovers. Now that I am retired it is easier to make shopping trips more often...I am only half a mile from a nice grocery store and 3/4 mile from a farmer's market. I feel so European shopping for fresh food every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to switch plans this weekend, Noel, when we discovered we were out of gas for the grill :). Just swapped a couple of days around and it was done.

    Now that I think about it, Noel, I believe I saw a freezer inventory idea on your blog a couple of years ago. It was better than what I was using, so I adopted yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to have a farmer's market so close, Sorjouner. How long do they run where you are?

    Right now most of our vegetables are coming out of our backyard, with a few things from the store for variety. I just planted a fall garden a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully we'll have vegetables until November.

    ReplyDelete