Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It Is What It Is

I originally discovered No S in the fall. My weight was already stable, though I did have some weight to lose due to medication I'd taken a few years earlier. It's never been too much of a problem and as long as I didn't diet, my weight didn't increase. I was beginning to believe I would just have to learn to live with it when I ran across No S.

The attraction of No S for me had nothing to do with reducing portions, cutting calories or making wiser choices. I was already beginning to believe three meals a day was better than the current advice of many 'mini-meals' and we'd cut much of the sugar and pretty much all junk food, other than occasional meals out, out of our lives years earlier. For me it was simply  the application of a structure to what we were already doing. With routines, structure or habit in place, good intentions are easier to follow through with and I hoped the consistency alone might make a difference without my needing to make any drastic changes.

I was working at the time, so my weekdays had somewhat of a routine to them. The weekends were quite different, but that was okay - they were S days. Even though I was actually eating more than before NoS, my weight dropped slowly and steadily throughout the winter. June came along, and I decided 'Summer' was one long S. Apparently some of the habits had stayed with me, because when I weighed myself in the fall, I'd only gained one pound. I had intended to 'restart' in the fall, but September and October were rough months for me personally and I just never got back to it.

It's summer again and those three months of S days have turned into a year. I'm not going to think about what I could have achieved if I had stuck with it during the past winter. It is what it is. And what it is, is Tuesday. It's an 'N' day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment