Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Seeing progress

Today, of course, was my designated weigh-in day. Since I once again chickened out relented and did not put my scale out with the trash last week, I weighed myself today. I am actually down this week. Only .5 pound, but it's quite reasonable for me.

In spite of the fact that the scale is down, that is not the kind of progress I mean. The progress I refer to is the establishing of new habits and living comfortably within those habits without having to think about it at all. 

I don't want to have to think about it. That's one of the big reasons I detest diets. Always having to think and plan and figure and count. I don't want to count anything. Not calories, not points, not grams, not servings. I don't want to weigh, measure or even 'eyeball'. I am not the slightest bit interested in what anyone else considers a 'portion' or how many of those portions they think I should have (or not have). I don't want to read calorie counts on packages or if I'm going out to eat, decide where we're going ahead of time so I can check out what's on offer so I can figure out what is I am 'allowed' to order when I get there, and how much of it I will be 'allowed' to eat. 

Of course, with NoS there is none of that, and only three rules.  Even so the first few weeks I frequently had to remind myself of those rules. I'd catch myself reaching for a few walnuts when I passed through the kitchen, or taking a mindless nibble while fixing a meal or cleaning up afterward. Actually, before I could even remind myself of the rule, I first had to notice I was doing it.  It often seemed like the noticing was, in some ways, actually more difficult than saying 'no'. 

There was also the physical component to deal with. Naturally when  body is used to getting fuel all day long, whether it needs it or not, switching to three meals is a bit of an adjustment. As I mentioned before, the first time I started NoS I had some problem with this - actually getting sick and dizzy a couple of times the first week. Those tiny portions I was used to before NoS were fine if the next eating occasion was two hours away, but  not if the next meal was five or six hours away. It took a while to get used to eating more at meals, but then not only did I get used to it, larger meals became one of the many things I like about NoS. 

Fortunately, even the first time around I knew not to expect too much immediately. There would be adjustments to be made, old habits to break and new habits to make. There would be a learning curve in the beginning, but once I got past that, the new ways would carry me through as the old ones did, just in a more positive direction. 

I feel now like I've gotten to the top of the curve and I'm ready to cruise along. It doesn't mean I'll never stumble. I know I will. Often. But cruising along - or stumbling along - it's progress.


2 comments:

  1. That third paragraph sums up so much of what's wrong with the way people eat today. Can I quote you in my next book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Drew. I've been following your blog for a while. One of my goals in life is to cook in a way that would have made my little Italian grandmother proud. Too bad I was so 'smart' when she was alive and didn't appreciate the old ways.

    ReplyDelete