Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Just Hang Up The Phone

I have been thinking about my habit of self-sabotage and trying to figure out how to handle that little voice that tells me I should eat when ,in reality, there is no reason for me to be hungry. I carry the question of what to do with me when I'm doing chores, going for a walk, having a quiet moment. Sometimes it is in the front of my thoughts and sometimes it is just something floating around in my head. It seemed that whenever I let the question surface, the phrase came to me, "just hang up the phone." This as an important phrase for me. Many years ago, going through a sticky divorce, I complained to my mental health professional that my soon-to-be ex-husband called me at all hours and accused me of being the entire cause of our problems, the worst mother in the world, the worst woman in the world. I would listen and accept his criticism and be very distraught. My doctor simply said, "just hang up the phone." I honestly had never thought of doing that! I was so beaten down and had no self-esteem. How freeing that statement was for me.."Just hang up the phone." I only had to do that a few times and the ex quit calling. He could no longer just dump his anger on me. I refused to accept it and he had to learn to deal with it on his own. I gained so much strength from that one little action! It was the beginning of my climb back to valuing myself. So, here is that phrase..coming back to me again. What does it mean? I am going to "just hang up the phone" on those thoughts that are counter-productive to my No-S plan. I will refuse to validate the thoughts and they will eventually go away. Do I know why I am sef-sabotaging my plans? Not really..but I'm working on that. Until I figure that out, I can at least "hang up the phone" and not respond to the thoughts that want to send me astray. I'm strong enough to do that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment