Tuesday, July 12, 2011

company, NoS, and my need to control all situations

So, my daily plan, as per NoS, is to have three meals of one plate each.. except (sometimes) on days that begin with "S" ..or on a Special occasion. For the past two weeks, I have had from two to six extra people for meals and have had Special occasions in the form of a birthday, an anniversary, and the whole two week annual event of a visit from relatives from across the country..very special!! At first, I thought it would be an eating frenzy from morning until night.
Here is what really happened: I put out fruits, juices, cereals,breads,toppings, coffee, and tea at breakfast time and fixed my own breakfast and let everyone do the same. In the past, I would be slaving away at pancakes, or eggs to order, frying bacon and ham..toasting muffins..making sure everyone was happy ..except me! I would refuse all help and as others enjoyed that third cup of coffee, I would put on another pot and load the dishwasher. I would empty it just in time to fix a nice lunch so that all could just sit themselves at the table and enjoy it. Then I'd shop and prepare dinner and dessert. "No.no..no thank you..I can do this myself , you just go off and enjoy"..mmmm
This visit was different. I had all the fixin's for any breakfast anyone cared to prepare..and, once, I even fried up some potatoes to go with eggs someone else made. I didn't do the dishes..someone else could do that while I had another cup of coffee. Lunch was an on-your-own affair with paper plates and sandwich materials ready in the frig. I marinated a huge slab of Copper River salmon and someone else grilled it while I organized a corn husking and steaming crew and a salad making mob. Everyone was very happy to be a part of the prep as well as the clean up and we did something like this every night. It was easy to stick to the one plate rule because I really tried to limit my menu to three or four items. In the past , I worried about pleasing everyone..this time I planned the menu knowing that I always had raw veggies and cheese selections for any picky eaters. I know I drank more wine and less water than I usually do and I know I didn't get my yoga time in but..as a whole, I am very pleased with myself! I managed to let go of the control of having to be in charge of everything and put myself first. Everyone seemed to benefit, especially me!

1 comment:

  1. 1) it sounds like you really are wiser! and 2) I wanna come eat at your house :)

    ReplyDelete