Friday, July 29, 2011

Wobbly Week

Most of the time, I don't find sticking to the No S rules to be much of a problem. It just flows from one day to the next without much effort at all. However, I've noticed if I introduce what is known in No S circles as an 'S Day Gone Wild' or even just have a series of normal 'S' Days - like on vacation - it takes me a day or two to get back on track. There was a time when I would have turned this into a whole big deal - beating myself up, wondering what was wrong with me, why I was 'sabotaging' myself. Now I just think 'Eh.  It will work itself out in a few days' .

Last week was a busy week of 'S' Days for me. We slept little, ate at odd hours, and I had a lot more sugar and junk than I usually do. Monday I was very tired and dinner was late (after 8 pm). If dinner had been on time I may have made it, but shortly after 7 pm, the day turned red. I just kept finding myself wandering into the kitchen all afternoon, and then somewhere around 7, I raided the biscotti..and a few other things. Tuesday went much the same way.

Wednesday things finally turned around. I still kept wandering into the kitchen, wanting to eat something - but not wanting to. About mid-afternoon I made a cup of tea, hoping that would help. I still wanted to eat something, but I somehow, I managed not to. (not even the remains of the cheesecake I made on Sunday)

Thursday felt back-to-normal. I went to tennis in the  morning, made pizza for lunch (I always have bread dough in the refrigerator - usually for bread, but lately I've been making pizza with it) and kept busy around the house for most of the afternoon. After I accomplished what I'd intended to, I fixed a cup of tea and read for a while. By then it was 4.30  pm and I realized I'd not wandered into the kitchen like a lost soul once.

I have been considering what role my sleep and food choices played in my week. Monday - Wednesday, I had yogurt for breakfast. Thursday I had tennis, so I made a more substantial breakfast. I toasted a slice of homemade bread, spread on quite a lot of butter and topped it with a scrambled egg. I was also very tired at the beginning of the week and it's much more difficult not to graze all day when I'm tired. I know it's natural for the body to keep seeking food to prop up the energy levels, so I don't feel bad about it - I just don't want to have to deal with it.

Today I had tennis earlier than I usually do, so though I  had the same breakfast, it was much earlier as well, but it really wasn't a problem. Even if it had been,  it's Friday and I always feel like I can handle just about anything on Friday. I have a full day of 'things I like to do' planned, and I don't even have to cook tonight.

And in case you're wondering, my 'S Days' will be rather mild this weekend. It took me too long to un-wobble my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment