Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wayback Machine


I listen to podcasts of old radio shows quite often when I'm driving or working around the house. Sometimes it's just the show itself, but other times there are commercials included. Reminders to save gas or rubber for the war, assurance that Colgate tooth Powder will make your teeth their whitest, or which shave foam stops razor burn best (and you don't even need a brush!). They're like a little time capsule of what things were like 60 or 70 years ago. Sometimes they're good for a laugh, sometimes they make you think. I did both when I heard these three Pepsi commercials from August, 1949.


It's not the same without the music, but here it is anyway. The italics are the jingle, the rest is the announcer guy.


    Pepsi Cola hits the spot 
    2 full glasses that's a lot
    twice as much and better, too
    Pepsi Cola is the drink for you. 

That's right - you heard what they said. 
Two full glasses of sparkling pepsi from one biig 12 ounce bottle. 
You're getting an extra glassful, and what a delicious glassful. 
The most refreshing, delightful cola that ever tickled your taste. 
You can't top Pepsi's tangy flavor, and that big, big bottle saves you money - goes twice as far. 
Pepsi's American's big, big favorite and America's biggest cola value. 
So why take less when Pepsi's best? 

    Pepsi Cola hits the spot 
    2 full glasses that's a lot
    twice as much and better, too
    Pepsi cola is the drink for you. 

Pepsi cola - P E P  S  I - that's your smartest cola buy
When your friends drop in, be generous, but be thrifty, too. 
Serve plenty of delicious Pepsi Cola. 
Pepsi's big 12 ounce bottle gives you not just one sparkling glassful, but two. 
Get a carton of six and serve 12 delicious drinks! 
Yes, pepsi is America's biggest cola value. 
You get twice the tangy taste, twice the refreshment, twice the pepsi. 
So why take less when Pepsi's best?

Pepsi Cola hits the spot 
Two full glasses that's a lot
Lots more value lots more sense, 
Why take less when pepsi's best?

Ah, Delicious Pepsi Cola. 
Bring it on now. 
Enjoy that bubbling, tangy, tasty, treat. 
Sure hits the spot. 
At parties it's a wonderful idea to serve delicious Pepsi. 
That extra quick food energy gives folks that bounce - that zing.
And Pepsi's big 12 ounce bottles go twice as far. 
You get a carton of 6 bottles and you serve 12 full sized drinks. 
So save that money. 
Get the best and get twice as much in delicious Pepsi Cola

   Pepsi Cola hits the spot 
    2 full glasses that's a lot
    twice as much and better, too
    Pepsi cola is the drink for you.

I think I'll put a little bounce and zing into my next party by serving 6 ounce glasses of Pepsi. 


I can see it now....

3 comments:

  1. Here I go showing my age again. But I used to stop at my dad's university band hall student lounge as I walked home from school (both ways uphill!). They had a coke machine with the ice cold 6 oz. bottles for 6 cents. I always had pennies on hand so I could get a freebie. The most common question asked was, "Anybody got a couple of pennies? I'll buy you a Coke." It was a special treat on a hot day after a long walk. We NEVER had soft drinks in the house. And we NEVER ate out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am probably a similar age. In our family, my father was the only one who had cola drinks, and that was only occasionally. I remember very clearly the few times I did have one as well as the few times we went out to eat. I only remember being in a restaurant three or four times before I was 14.

    Most of the time when we traveled we had sandwiches in the car, but I do remember a few times we bought food on the road. (though even then we usually ate in the car). A&W had car hops, so sometimes we went there. Do you remember the A&W kiddie root beers? I don't know if they still have them, but I can't imagine any kid these days thinking that was treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this statistic: 'A can of Coke is consumed every 7 hours per person compared to being one every five days just 50 years back.'

    ReplyDelete